Since July when I switched to a part-time work schedule, I’ve spent Mondays and Fridays writing and editing eight true stories from my life, all with the intention of compiling them and publishing them in a book. These stories cross numerous topics, including my experiences in the US Military, my time in Iraq and Afghanistan (as a civilian), my quest to get my dream job, and my lessons learned in apologizing, confidence, and humility.
I’ve received some really great feedback via from some friends and family so far, but I’m looking for more. There is no doubt that I’m going to publish it, simply to satisfy my own goal of getting these stories out to the world. But if there is a good possibility that it could appeal to you (either as written or with some reasonable changes/minor restructuring) and you will like it and perhaps even tell others about it, then I’d be more inclined to invest in a robust marketing and publicity campaign. At the same time, if I receive feedback that the way I have it written will require a lot of work to get it to a place that could be “good” (in your eyes), then I might just publish it as is and look to my next writing opportunity with potentially more appeal.
- Overall, on a scale of 1-10 (1 being the worst book you’ve ever read and 10 being the best book you’ve ever read), how would you rate the book and how did why?
- What did you like about each story?
- What did you not like about each story?
- What do you think the main point of each story was, and was that point clear to you in each story?
- What would you title each story?
- On a scale of 1-10, please rate how engaged you were in each story (1 being not at all engaged and 10 being completely engaged) and explain how you determined your rating.
- Were the stories in a good order? If not, please provide an order you think would be best.
- What did you not like about the book overall?
- What would you title the book?
- What other comments do you have?
As a thank you for answering these questions, I’m going to provide each of the 20 respondents a free, signed copy of my book once it is published, probably sometime late summer or early fall. As another enticement, I’m also going to randomly select one respondent from the 20 to receive a $100 Amazon gift card!
If you are interested, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and submit your name, age, location, and occupation for consideration (these are to ensure I get a diverse sample). I’ll select 20 respondents from the names I receive. I’d appreciate the answers to your questions by early-to-mid March.
Thank you for your continued support and helping me along my publishing journey!